Our team of divorce law solicitors have in depth knowledge about the divorce proceedings DIVORCE LAW SOLICITORS.
Check you can get a divorce
You can get divorced in England or Wales if all of the following are true:
- you’ve been married for over a year
- your relationship has permanently broken down
- your marriage is legally recognised in the UK (including same-sex marriage)
- the UK is your permanent home, or the permanent home of your husband or wife
If you do not want a divorce, you can get a legal separation so you can live apart without ending the marriage. You might also be able to annul the marriage. You can apply for separation or annulment during your first year of marriage.
Grounds for divorce
When you apply for a divorce you’ll need to prove that your marriage has broken down and cannot be saved. You’ll need to give one or more of the following 5 reasons (also known as ‘facts’).
Before you apply
Before you send in your application, you and your husband or wife can choose to work out:
You can also divide your money and property. There’s a deadline if you want to make this legally binding.
You can usually avoid going to court hearings if you agree about children, money and property and the reasons for ending your marriage.
How to apply
To apply for a divorce you’ll need:
- your husband or wife’s full name and address
- your original marriage certificate or a certified copy (and a certified translation if it’s not in English)
- proof of your name change if you’ve changed it since you got married – for example your marriage certificate or a deed poll
You must try to find your husband or wife’s current address if you do not know it. The court will need it to send them a copy of the divorce petition.